REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
Social Impact Design, Equity-Centered Designer Network
BlackteaBrownsuga Network Expansion
Issue Date: Friday November 17, 2023
Response Deadline: Wednesday December 06, 2023
Neighborhood Allies is seeking to expand the number of Equity-Centered Designers within our network. As an Equity-Centered Designer, you will have the opportunity to provide general and specialized services to residents, entrepreneurs and organizations we serve on a part-time basis.
Neighborhood Allies is working with BlackteaBrownsuga Network (BTBSN) to envision how they can expand their programming into three buildings that neighbor the building they currently rent. A written sales agreement between the landlord and BTBSN is currently underway. Respondents should be a qualified designer, willing to co-design and explore the feasibility of renovating four properties in downtown McKees Rocks for BTBSN to expand their services. The space will act as a community attraction with gathering spaces, music and recording studios, a café, and some dwelling units. The designer will be contracted as a consultant to produce a conditions and feasibility study.
As a part of the project, the designer will be expected to:
- Meet with BTBSN and community stakeholders to understand project goals, community context, and organizational assets.
- Review the preliminary program diagram prepared by BTBSN and apply existing zoning and building code requirements to determine what zoning and/or code related improvements are required.
- Research and identify any existing occupancy permits for the properties.
- Measure buildings to provide accurate existing conditions drawings (note: laser scanning or other rapid measuring technologies are preferred)
- Make recommendations regarding phasing of improvements and any additional due diligence required.
- Copies of existing occupancy permits.
- Memo summarizing findings and recommendations from the code review, along with any additional recommendations regarding phasing, due diligence, and use.
- Phased design strategy based on BTBSN’s vision for the four properties.
- Existing conditions drawings, in CAD and PDF format.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
- Firm/ individual design experience, including adaptive re-use, feasibility studies, and conditions surveys
- Moonlighting policy (if applicable)
- MWDBE status if applicable
GUIDELINES AND REQUIREMENTS
To respond to this Request For Proposals, please submit the following:
- Cover Letter expressing interest in project and moonlighting policy if applicable
- Fee proposal, including hourly rates for additional services
- List of past and current clients and project samples
Please submit your proposal as one combined PDF by 5:00PM EST Wednesday December 06, 2023 to:
Tamara Emswiler, Senior Program Manager for Social Impact Design