Our vision is for all neighborhoods to be resilient, thriving, and equitable.
Our mission is to engage Pittsburgh area residents and organizations with innovative tools that expand
opportunity for transformative community change.
Position: Program Manager of Implementation & Evaluation
Reports to: Steel Smiling Operations Director
Neighborhood Allies’ mission is to engage Pittsburgh area residents and organizations with innovative tools that expand opportunity for transformative community change. As a multi-faceted Community Development organization, we support people and organizations by providing access and “onramps” to strategic resources, connecting community builders together to forge stronger networks and collaborations that drive transformative change and impact the community by co-creating solutions to long-term social problems. One of the “co-created solutions” referenced above is the innovative pilot partnership we have established with Steel Smiling, our “Organization-in-Residence (OIR)” partner. Under this model, Steel Smiling has chosen to become a “program of” Neighborhood Allies for a fixed-term in order to grow organizational capacity.
Steel Smiling’s specific focus is to bridge the gap between Black people and mental health support through
education, advocacy, and awareness. We are working to expose every black adult in Allegheny County to a
positive mental health experience that improves their quality of life by 2030. Our programs and community-based experiences include: Beams To Bridges (Black Mental Health Workforce Development Program), Steel Thriving, and the Black Mental Health Fund Referral Program.
Our full-time Program Manager of Implementation & Evaluation will be responsible for working with the Steel Smiling team to evaluate, implement, and sustain mental health best practices across our programming and resources. The Program Manager of Implementation & Evaluation, collaboratively with the Program Manager of Wellness Services, will execute a person-centered program delivery strategy that meets the diverse and ever-evolving mental health goals, learning objectives, and wellness desires of the community members we serve. The Program Manager of Implementation & Evaluation will specifically lead the following programmatic aspects: annual review of curriculum to ensure continued utilization of best practices throughout the organization; develop and implement evaluative tools for programs that allow Steel Smiling to illuminate the scale and impact of our initiatives; survey program participants and other data collection efforts as needed; analyze and report on both internal and external data to inform organizational strategies; manage university fellows and interns; and engage with constituents to increase awareness about the organization.
- Lead Beams to Bridges and Black Mental Health Fund curriculum design and implementation processes.
- Collaborate with Program Manager for Wellness Services to ensure a seamless execution of programming, centering the Community Member’s experiences and individual needs.
- Work with Program Manager for Wellness Services to develop a system to collaboratively process BMHF referrals and execute upon implementation.
- Update programs annually to ensure compliance and advancement of person-centered, best practices in mental health and wellness.
- Structure and guide evaluative processes to assess efficacy of Steel Smiling programming.
- Provide expert advice with planning curriculum, assessing, and improving program effectiveness.
- Support Steel Smiling Senior Leadership with the advancement of best practices and policies for the organization’s sustainability.
- Strengthen partnerships with community-based organizations to sustain collaborative efforts.
- Develop and create reports from data collection efforts.
- Respond to program-related emails daily.
- Meet virtually/in-person with potential community partner organizations.
- Other research projects as assigned.
- Lead process with university partners to establish program assessment process and evaluate compiled data with University Fellows.
- Work with Program Manager of Wellness Services to ensure programmatic reports are completed in a timely, comprehensive, and informative manner for program improvement.
- Support relationships with mental health practitioners to ensure a compliant, referral-based process, as needed.
- Support fundraising and grant-writing efforts as directed by Senior Leadership.
- Attend professional development events on behalf of Steel Smiling.
- Attend community engagement events on behalf of Steel Smiling.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are desirable for job success:
- Master’s degree in social work or mental health related field, or psychology preferred or bachelor’s degree in the above-mentioned fields with a minimum of 5 years of work experience.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced, evolving work environment.
- Ability to manage conflict resolution and high-stress situations virtually and in-person.
- Proficient in the use of technology. Microsoft Office and Google products.
- Strong person-centered, empathic interpersonal skills to interface with employees, management, program participants, mental health professionals, and community stakeholders.
- Demonstrated program implementation, management, planning, and problem-solving skills.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to set, meet, and exceed clear, measurable goals.
- Cultural Competence: Respects and works well with people of all backgrounds. Understands and invites diverse perspectives to the table and is sensitive to group differences. Views diversity as an opportunity. Challenges bias and intolerance.
- Program Management: Set and adhere to deadlines and operate well under pressure of quick turnarounds. Exhibit strong planning and organizational skills and demonstrate an ability to collaborate well with others.
- Person-Centered Approach: Belief in all people’s inherent worth, potential, and capacity for change. Respects the autonomy, self-determination, and decision-making of community members, partners, and other stakeholders. Avoids prescriptive or paternalistic approaches and respects the need for a plurality of tactics and styles.
- Systems-Thinking: Ability to understand the micro, mezzo, and macro implications of the work. Possesses an understanding of the traditional mental health system and its intersections with other systems/institutions. Thinks critically about paradigms and change-at-scale.
Neighborhood Allies and Steel Smiling offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Salary range is
$47,000 – $55,000.
Please send the following:
- Cover Letter
- Salary Requirements
Application will be accepted via email only. Material should be submitted to email@example.com
with “Steel Smiling Program Manager of Implementation & Evaluation” as the subject. All application
materials must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on April 11, 2022.
No phone calls please.
Neighborhood Allies, and Steel Smiling as an Organization-in-Residence of the entity, is an equal opportunity employer, hiring and promoting staff and providing equity training to individuals without regard to race, creed, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, or physical ability.